My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.micheleguieu.com/wordpress/inspiration/
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Coming back from a week in San Diego


"Defragmentation: Rearranging Bits and Pieces of Memory"
The 3 main walls of the installation



















The fourth wall




It took one week to install the show, I've got some great help from Janine Free and her husband Marvin, had the pleasure to drive every morning the 101 between Encinitas and Solana Beach. Amazingly, Janine and Marvin happened to be in the bay area a few days before the installation began in Solana Beach, and they transported almost all the paintings to San Diego in their truck. I brought myself all sorts of painting material, and I bought my favorite non-toxic paint at ACE in Hillcrest.

Tracing the large geometrical figure on the walls with a great ruler/level.
Using yards and yards of masking tape.
Painting with brushes, small rolls, large rolls. 2 coats.
Hanging paintings for hours, installing the videos (one flat screen, two digital frames).
Installing the very last series of paintings I've made on the fourth wall, which was already painted in dark gray.
Everything worked. Smoothly I can say.


mock up of the main part of the installation


It was interesting to see how the mock up I've made before coming to install the show at the gallery changed as I was working in the real space: they were transformed but not that much. I did not get the chance to do much else than installing the show. Everything was ready Saturday morning by noon, a few hours before the opening reception.

Another great experience for me. Another space, new paintings and new videos. I am very happy to have found a way to make videos which look like my paintings, with those shadowy/ghostly/round people. I'll post the videos soon.

Now I am back here, the show is up until January 14.



Some photos taken during the week the show was installed










With Janine Free and Lori Lipsman

"Defragmentation: Rearranging Bits and Pieces of Memory"
December 11, 2010 - January 14, 2011

Project x Art Gallery
320 South Cedros Avenue
Suite 500
Solana Beach, CA 92075

Open Monday – Friday, from 10am to 5pm
Also by appointment: Chris Martino (858) 792-9685

No comments: