My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.micheleguieu.com/wordpress/inspiration/
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

Skyping Jennifer: Jennifer Rockage @ The Garage


Jennifer Rockage, on Skype in the garage gallery,
Saturday night during the opening of the show.

The art of Jennifer Rockage
May 15, 2009 at the Garage, from 6 to 10pm.
While the work of Jennifer Rockage was displayed in the gallery, it was possible to talk to her on Skype. She was in Morgantown, West Virginia, where she works and lives. Four hours ahead of us.

Jennifer Rockage: "I am interested in what happens when text is removed from its original context and placed in a fine art realm. The text used in my work is found language that I overhear and text I am collecting from public places. Repetition, chance and visual alteration are used as metaphors for how spoken and remembered language can be manipulated over time. Recently my work has consisted of printed lists, paper shreddings, installations and sound."


Larry Caveney and Richard Gleaves, Jennifer Rockage on Skype


Richard Gleaves in conversation with Jennifer Rockage.
(The notecards are on the wall behind)





The notecards





Jennifer Rockage: "The phrases on the notecards were overheard by me in public. I took out the main words in them and gave them to instructors to hand to their students. So a lot of the people who were filling them out were undergraduates at West Virginia University. each student filled out about two so there were quite a few students involved. I wanted to see how the meaning would change as I took a phrase from public and took out some of the words and then placed it back into a public setting. I have been thinking about doing something similar to this over the summer but with a larger, more diverse group."


one of the shopping lists


Art you can touch and play with:
the pencils can be thrown at the target on the wall.


I like the low-key aspect of Rockage's work, the fact that one piece is interactive, that some pieces are made with found things (shopping lists, shredded papers), and that Jennifer Rockage was there via Internet.

The Garage
4141 Alabama Street #4,
San Diego, CA 92104
contact: deapseal2@aol.com

No comments: