My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.micheleguieu.com/wordpress/inspiration/
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Writing in English


Diary - French is my native language

It is a challenge for me to write this blog in English. I know I will never be totally bilingual: I was not born in the United States, so I am missing a good amount of cultural references. It does not bother me, it makes me very attentive. I am surprised every day by the language I am using, which is quite amazing and refreshing. Sometimes in a conversation I ask someone about the meaning of an expression or a word I hear for the first time.

Using another language makes me see the world with a different angle, not just from my French perspective. I am exploring a new territory and the unknown is exciting. Sometimes it is not easy, but it is exciting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I understand, maybe the picture is confusing me. You write the blog in English as opposed to writing in French and translating that to English. Again, maybe the picture is confusing me, since it is written in French.

It is wonderful that you speak more than one language. I am very much lacking in this.

Michele Guieu said...

I guess it is a little bit confusing!I write the blog directly in English but I still write a diary in French, not very often though and almost not on paper anymore. This page is extracted from a travel diary I wrote in France.
I thought it could be nice to have the photo of the page written in French vs the text about me writing in English.

Anonymous said...

I understand,thanks.