My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.micheleguieu.com/wordpress/inspiration/
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

My paintings for New Contemporaries II - San Diego Art Prize


"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness",
ensemble of 6 paintings, mixed media on canvas.


I brought my paintings to Noel-Baza Fine Art last Saturday. Noel and Tom were there, Larry was typing on the computer, Tom arranging the art pieces in the gallery. I saw Jen Trute briefly, she was leaving. I talked with Keikichi Honna about his paintings that he just brought.

A few weeks ago, when I brought the paintings to the gallery to try some different combinations on the wall I was assigned, I realized there was this aeration grid in the right corner and that I could not fit another 36x48 size painting. It was an interesting challenge as Tom really wanted to transform the wall into a billboard, which I think is a great idea.


The sixth painting: "I live here (Watching you)",
24"x48", acrylic on canvas


So in the time I had between the day I went there to make the tries and last Saturday when I brought the paintings to be hanged on the wall, I made a new painting, which fits into the space. I made 3 versions of the same paintings - with the same trio (Kyle and the children). I tried different colors, different compositions, with and without text. In the end I did not want to have a stamped text either (one version of the painting contains text). I thought a lot about it. At my house I have barely the space to try the combination on the floor, to check the colors and the composition, so it was not easy. But it was intense, interesting. And stressing because I had not much time.

Tuesday morning I went back to the gallery to take a picture of the wall. I wanted to make a postcard with the photo of the wall. But I also brought another version of the last painting (the trio), I wanted to be sure I had make the right choice. It was interesting because Tom and Larry did not hesitate and wanted to keep the version I had brought the Saturday. I guess I was relieved. I took some pictures of the wall.

I saw Oscar Pimienta who participates in the show. It was very nice to talk to him.


That day I also brought some small paintings that Tom and Larry will have on consignment during the show.

It was not easy to decide if the ensemble of the 6 paintings should have a title. I decided to take the title of one of the paintings for the ensemble: "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness". Each painting has a title too.

I thought it was really important to work with the space. I am very happy with the result now. I like the boldness of it and what is going on between the pieces.

Now let's see what happens.

More info on Art As Authority's blog

New Contemporaries II
Feb 18th - March 21

Public reception: Friday, March 13, from 6 to 9

featuring 13 artists nominated for the San Diego Art Prize:
David Adey
Tania Alcala
Michele Guieu
Keikichi Honna
Oscar Pimienta
Marisol Rendon
Daniel Ruanova
Tara Smith
Matt Stallings
K. V. Tomney
Jen Trute
Gustabo Velasquez
Yuransky

Noel-Baza Fine Art
2165 India Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Tues-Thursday 11-6
Friday, Saturday 11-8
or by appointment
(619) 876 4160

noel-bazafineart.com
noel-baza@cox.net


No comments: